Useful Words and Phrases (Harry Potter) 3

Ron was not particularly keen on this idea at first - he was thoroughly enjoying being patted on the back by every Gryffindor who walked past his chair, not to mention the occasional outbursts of ‘Weasley is our King’, but after a while he agreed that some fresh air might do him good.

pat on the back

تحسین و ستایش یک فرد برای موفقیت یا کار خوبی که انجام داده است، دست مریزاد، دست نوازش بر پشت کسی کشیدن، تبریک گفتن، به شانه کسی زدن (به نشانه‌ی تحسین یا تبریک)

‘But you saw her chuck her broom away when she got back to the ground, didn’t you?’

chuck away

دور انداختن، رها کردن، ول کردن، پرت کردن

This information took the edge off Harry and Ron’s desire for brain stimulants.

take the edge off

از شدت چیزی کاستن، ملایم کردن

‘None at all,’ said Umbridge, shooting a malevolent look at Harry, Ron and Hermione, who were now dawdling around the foot of the stairs as Ron pretended to do up his shoelace.

do up

1. بستن (دکمه و زیپ لباس) سفت کردن (مهره)

Once breakfast was over, the fifth- and seventh-years milled around in the Entrance Hall while the other students went off to lessons.

mill around

پلکیدن، وقت را به بطالت گذراندن، ول گشتن

There was no time to relax that night; they went straight to the common room after dinner and submerged themselves in revision for Transfiguration next day.

submerge in

خود را غرق کاری کردن، غرق در انجام کاری

‘I mis-translated ehwaz,’ said Hermione furiously. ‘It means partnership, not defence; I mixed it up with eihwaz.’

mix up with

اشتباه گرفتن با

And what’s more, someone’s put another Niffler in Umbridge’s office.

and what’s more

به علاوه، مهمتر از این

He had a stab at question five (How was the Statute of Secrecy breached in I 749 and what measures were introduced to prevent a recurrence?)

have a stab (at)

تلاش کردن، اقدام کردن، امتحان کردن

He began to write, looking up now and again to check the large hour-glass on the desk beside Professor Marchbanks.

now and again

گاه و بیگاه، گاه‌گداری، هرازگاهی

10 پسندیده

سلام خدمت شما
ممنون از اشتراگ گذاری این عبارتهای مفید و کاربردی
سوالی داشتم که این عبارات بیشتر فرمال هستتد یا اینفرمال؟ آیا این عبارات رو میشه تو متون آکادمیک هم به کار برد؟
ممنون

2 پسندیده

سلام آقا مصطفی
خواهش می‌کنم

بیشتر انفرمال هستند و توی گفتار کاربرد دارند

2 پسندیده