3 تا از ضرب المثل های انگلیسی مورد علاقتون چی هست و چرا؟

What are three of your favorite English proverbs? I already found this old forum ( مَثَل های زبان انگلیسی (English Proverbs)) where users mentioned some of the proverbs, but I’m more interested if you can shortly write for each of your favorite proverbs why that is your favorite and if you could link it to some personal experience in your life that made you realize how true the proverb really is.

I start myself first:

1. “Out of sight, out of mind”
    I had a lot of friendships where the bond was strong…you’d have thought they would last forever. But very simply and easily, those strong friendships became weaker and weaker with some changes, such as my friend and I did not live as close to each other as before or did not meet as often as before or our common interests just changed. And no matter how much sometimes you try to heal the friendship to bring it back to its golden days, it feels like beating a dead horse. I really see the truth and power in this proverb.

2. “All that glitters is not gold”
    It’s easy to fantasize about other people’s life, specially celebrities. Or even just people who you think are having it better than you. We are not living their life every single minute. And we only judge small moments of it. Those so-called “Instagram/Facebook Highlights”. On Instagram everything looks like paradise. A utopia. But then when you see their entire life, you realize it would have been better if you didn’t judge everything so quickly and didn’t want to be them so bad and weren’t so jealous of them.

3. “The best things in life are free”
    Might sound cliche, but I’ve seen the truth in this proverb! Even if not completely free, at least very close to cheap! Sometimes you think if you take that English/Guitar/Drawing/Cooking/Body Building class with that special famous instructor, which would cost you a fortune, you will be great at that thing. While actually the very cheap and sometimes completely free options that are at your fingertips can take you to your goals much better and easier. Some things in life are just big hype. Sometimes we don’t appreciate free things in life and only take things seriously when they have a price tag. Like this forum, which I think can be used as a great practice tool for anyone practicing English.

8 پسندیده

Hi there. It’s an interesting topic. So different from other subjects here, sort of new. I like it!

To be honest I don’t know so many proverbs in english or even persian and I have no desire to learn, but I found some of them very interesting and funny.

1. When the cats are away mice will play: there is a burning desire inside every human being to bend the rules which others have determined for them. When I was a child I wouldn’t take the opportunity of my parents’ absent for granted to do the things I wasn’t allowed to do and I think this quality of mine hasn’t changed and will not change as I’m growing. They may not be big mischiefs but they still count I guess.
  2. A friend in need is a friend indeed: true and constant friends are the ones who stay with you when you need them, hard moments of life are a good time to find those who are really deserve your friendship, care and love. Smart and talented people can easily get used by others, so it’s too hard to find the ones who really are after your friendship rather than the advantages you bring for them.

I couldn’t remember another proverb which I could attach it to my life, so I end it with two.

7 پسندیده

Hey Giso. Perfect response to my post, just what I was looking for! Thank you!

Yeah, like yourself, I’m also not the hugest fan of proverbs (or memorizing them just to show off to other people how many proverbs I know and blah blah blah) and don’t know many in either language. But like I tried to imply in my post, I’m more interested in “practicality” of some proverbs.

And some proverbs just sound so catchy when you hear them for the first time…like the first time I heard the proverb “don’t judge a book by its cover”, and not only do I agree with its message and content, but I’ve noticed I use that proverb in my own speaking quite often. It just makes so much sense and can be applied to so many different instances.

Your first proverb (when the cats are away, mice will play) put a big smile on my face haha. Nice one and funny. And the second one, can’t get more practical and real than that.

6 پسندیده

That’s kind of you. I liked its subject so much. It was very creative to ask to match the proverbs with reality.

Ididn’t mean that. Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding. I just wanted to say that I really don’t know so much about them.

3 پسندیده

Hiya! :smile:

If you ask me to give you a Persian proverb, I will most likely disappoint you. :laughing: Not to mention “three English ones”. But I want to cheat, so I looked up a few proverbs; I cannot say they’re my favourites, but better than nothing, eh? :smirk:

1. “Too many cooks spoil the broth”

Living alone gave me the advantage of learning how to cook. That’s it; this is the only reason for which I chose this one. Oh, yes, no, there’s another reason too. I believe everything you want to do properly and get results, you have to do it all by yourself. Yes, I don’t trust people’s abilities. I’m also a loner.

1. “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch”

We, flipping humans, are really hasty in our judgements, especially about our future plans. Sometimes we just have to wait and look around us, instead of just walking towards something. I think it’s associated with our stupidity (I lost a few years of my life to my stupidity :expressionless:)

1. “Curiosity killed the cat”

I’m not a nosy person and I hate the people who are. If you give me all of your passwords, give me your mobile phone or laptop, I will never look into your private affairs. I truly respect people’s privacy. Funnily enough, I try not to have a private or secret life. My mobile doesn’t have a password; there’s not any photo in it; there’s no even telephone numbers in it (I memorize the numbers; It’s not impressive really, coz they’re not too many). I live like an intelligence agent though. :slightly_smiling_face:

The two first ones have equivalents in Persian, by the way (but I’m sure it was obvious :smile:).

5 پسندیده

Hello
Good morning :blossom:
Out of the frying pan, into the fire😁

I really am examle of this proverb :sweat_smile: because I do things that hure me :sweat_smile: now I whish I could hurt myself , but also involve others
It my case , this multiplication is really like my example. For example I did not complete a work project . I go to another work project, which makes me have to endure a lot of work pressure.
I will deliver to work project on time :grin: complete and complete
But with stress :sweat_smile:
I do not know why I work like this :thinking::smile:

4 پسندیده

One of my favorite proverbs…speaking about cooking, likewise I also learned cooking because of necessity haha. But not a bad skill to learn anyways. I like this proverb cuz sometimes some people want the advice and opinions of soooo many people in their lives…and somehow that can ruin things. For instance, you got a resume at hand wanting to apply for jobs, don’t go ahead and ask 300 million people for feedback. Cuz everyone will say a differet thing. One would tell you “oh get rid of the color red! and replace that with blue instead”…and then the next person would say “oh why did you remove red, blue sucks here”…better to choose one or a few trusted people in your life and rather listen to them. That doesn’t mean you have to shut off to the rest of the world…but as the alternative version of your saying goes “too many cooks in the kitchen!”

Another interesting one…or talk about people who celebrate a victory way too soon…and then very soon they get their butt kicked by their opponents or the life itself. I think realism is the answer to the life, not pessimism or optimism. You have to always be ready in life for anything and any scenarios. Easier said than done though! :smile:

It’s funny cuz this reminds me of Giso’s topic from yesterday. Those nosy people just have too much time on their hands…and would be better off if they invest their time wisely on things that matter and that can contribute to their happiness.

3 پسندیده

Hahaha that was funny! :smile:

3 پسندیده

Have I ever told you I really enjoy reading your replies? It was superb :smile: (but forget what I just said now :neutral_face:).

4 پسندیده

Too late bro, this was hacked into my brain for eternity :smile:

2 پسندیده